Monday, November 8, 2010

lucky girl

this weekend i got to go to my very first guy fawkes party! to be honest, and much to the chagrin of my british friends, i had heard of it but had no idea what it was actually about. but a really sweet family from iccp had us out to celebrate, so i did my research.

this party consisted of a big bonfire, a bunch of different delicious curries, vin chaud (mulled wine), smores, and singing about kookaburras. needless to say, i'm now a big fan of guy fawkes day.

it was also so nice to be in a family atmosphere. since i'm not living with a family here, most of my time is spent with high schoolers and then other 20-somethings, so a night with kids and parents and people of all ages was a welcome change.

there's a lot going on in my life right now making me feel uprooted and topsy-turvy and unsure, so i feel so blessed to be establishing a community here. my birthday is tomorrow and while it is definitely hard and strange to be away from home on my birthday for the first time, i am feeling well-loved and cared for here.

hard though it may be in the moment, when all things are said and done, i am a very lucky girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment